Code of Ethics
Approved August 1965 by the ANA Board of Governors; revised February 1995.
Membership in the American Numismatic Association is a privilege extended to those persons and organizations deemed worthy thereof and is not a matter of right. Such membership can be maintained unless the Board of Governors determines that the conduct of a member has been such that, in the best interest of the Association, his/her membership should be terminated.
For the guidance of its members, this Code of Ethics has been duly adopted by the Board of Governors under the authority vested in it by the Federal Charter and the bylaws of the Association. Any violation of this code will be grounds for expulsion from the American Numismatic Association.
As a member of the American Numismatic Association, I agree to comply with the following standards of conduct:
- To support and be governed by the Federal Charter and the bylaws of the Association, and by such rules, policies and regulations as may be in force from time to time.
- To conduct myself so as to bring no reproach or discredit to the Association, or impair the prestige of the membership therein.
- To base all of my dealings on the highest plane of justice, fairness and morality, and to refrain from making false statements as to the condition of a coin or as to any other matter.
- To neither buy nor sell numismatic items of which the ownership is questionable.
- To conform to the accepted standards of dignified advertising.
- To take immediate steps to correct any error I may make in any transaction.
- Not to sell, exhibit, produce or advertise a counterfeit, copy, restrike or reproduction of any numismatic item if its nature is not clearly indicated by the word “counterfeit,” “copy,” “restrike,” or “reproduction,” incused in the metal or printed on the paper thereof, with the exception of items generally accepted by numismatists and not in any way misrepresented as genuine.
- To represent a numismatic item to be genuine only when, to the best of my knowledge and belief, it is authentic.
- To fulfill all contracts made by me, either oral or written, to make prompt payments upon delivery and to return immediately any item that is not satisfactory.
- To give aid to members in their quest for numismatic knowledge.
- To comply with the Dealer Code of Ethics with respect to my sale or purchase of any numismatic item.